Ministry of Education data
Date range: September 1, 1991 onwards (academic year)
Data source: BC Ministry of Education
The Ministry of Education (MED) data tracks students’ academic achievements, their schools, and demographic changes over time for public and private schools across British Columbia at an individual record level, starting in kindergarten through to high school graduation. This includes students scores on the Foundation Skills Assessment (FSA) and Provincial Examinations, course grades, completion rates, and the Student Learning Survey, along with demographic information, and student enrollment in various programs.
- Students in public and independent schools across British Columbia.
- Schools that are or have been under the BC Ministry of Education’s jurisdiction.
- Students and schools fall outside of the BC Ministry of Education’s jurisdiction.
- Federally funded band schools run by First Nations bands.
Quality/accuracy of information
- Data regarding schools and districts may have quality issues, when errors are identified in the data set they are corrected where possible.
- Changes in the Student Satisfaction Survey to the Student Learning Survey (see notes below).
Important additional information
- The data files are grouped by academic years.
Data change over time
- Changes in data over time, such as the Foundation Skills Assessment (FSA) has been separated for data users by year (1999/2000 to 2006/2007, 2007/2008 to 2016/2017, and 2017/2018 onwards), as these represent different iterations of the assessment over time.
- The Student Satisfaction Survey (SATS) changed in 2016/17 to the Student Learning Survey (SLS). The SATS is anonymous and cannot be linked at a record level. The SLS is broken into non-sensitive questions which are linked to the student level record by Personal Education Number (PEN), and sensitive questions which are anonymous.
- Ministry of Education’s Metadata application (“Metabadger”).
Please refer to the Data Access Request (DAR) data checklist and/or Metadata central for the detailed list of data variables available.
Demographic data, and its changes over time. This includes school and/or school district changes, Aboriginal identification, behavioural changes and learning ability.
Student level data with program and other demographic data derived primarily from September 30th enrollments (or February if September enrollment does not exist).
Student level data related to enrollment to specific programs and services provided by school. This includes Aboriginal education programs and services, career programs, French language programs, and English language learning (ELL) services.
Student-level information about Completion Rate cohort members.
|Grades and results||
Student level credential results from the K to 12 system, including enrollment throughout grades K to 12.
Foundational Skills Assessment (FSA). Student-level results between 1999/2000 to 2006/07, and 2007/2008 to 2016/17. Data is provided at an individual question level.
Provincial Exam Scores at student level.
Grades. Teacher assigned grades at a student-level for grades 10 to 12 that may be used to satisfy both required and elective credits for graduation by course/program.
Final marks for courses that are associated with required examination or optional examination.
|Student Learning Survey (SLS)||
Items and record level response to SLS survey question.
Survey began in 2016/17.
Data includes information about the school, school year in which the survey was completed. This survey is based upon the Student Satisfaction Survey (SAT). This survey is filled out by students in grade 4, 7, 10 and 12, their parents and staff. The key changes between the SATS and the SLS is as follows:
Data not available for:
|Student Satisfaction Survey||
Student satisfaction survey item and record level response to survey questions. The student satisfaction survey (SATS) is administered annually in all BC public schools starting in 2001/2002 to 2015/16. The survey gathered the opinions of students, parents/guardians and school staff on achievement, human and social development and safety. It includes topics such as achievement, school climate, healthy living and safety. The data from this survey is anonymous. The responses from this survey are not included in the collection.
Basic information about schools that are/or have been under the Ministry of Education’s jurisdiction.
Data currently not available
- Course level marks (received in from grade 8 through 12) for all distributed learning schools, summer schools, and all public schools, including continuing education and alternative education centers.
- Class size detail.
- Aboriginal Education Enhancement Agreements at school district level (includes drafting, completion, signing and expiry and spans 2003/2004 to 2008/2009).
- Record level attendance information for early learning program called ‘Strong Start.’ Foundation Skills Assessment item-level data mart on individual student responses by question. This includes whether responses were correct and the mark the student received. This data is not included.
- The Ministry of Education’s Transcripts and Examinations (TRAX) studentlevel data results by cognitive level. This data is not provided at this time.
- Independent school funding levels.