Vital Statistics Births
Date range: January 1, 1985 onwards
Data source: The BC Vital Statistics Agency
This checklist is historical and provided only for reference. Please refer to https://my.popdata.bc.ca/dar/ for the current application and checklists.
Includes all births registered in the province of BC.
- Includes home births, which do not appear in the Discharge Abstract Database (Hospital Separations) file.
- Excludes all births to BC residents which occur out-of-province.
Quality / Accuracy of Information / Field Coding Source
- There are federal standards for vital statistics certificates and reports that have been adopted by the provinces. The use of nationally uniform vital registration and statistics standards allows for comparison of both national and provincial data. The physician or registered midwife who was in attendance at a birth must complete a Notice of Live Birth or Stillbirth/ (NOB) form, supplying the labour and the delivery details.
Important Additional Information
- In the case of adopted children, the parents on the births file may be the adoptive parents.
- The name of the father on the births file may not be the name of the biological father.