Planned Home Birth Attended by Regulated Midwives vs. Hospital Birth: Safety & Cost Effectiveness
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to evaluate the safety and cost of planned home birth attended by regulated midwives compared to planned hospital birth attended by regulated midwives or by physicians.
1. To compare rates of selected adverse maternal and neonatal outcomes among planned home births attended by regulated midwives compared to planned hospital births among women meeting eligibility requirements for home birth but attended by physicians or regulated midwives;
2. To compare costs of planned home vs. planned hospital birth to the health care system, taking into account reimbursement to providers, use of diagnostic services, ambulance services, pharmacy costs, length of hospital stay, and hospital procedures.
- Janssen P, Mitton C, Aghajanian J. Costs of Planned Home vs. Hospital Birth in British Columbia Attended by Registered Midwives and Physicians, PLOS ONE 2015; 10 (7) e0133524.,doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0133524.
- Janssen P, Mitton C, Aghajanian F. "Cost of planned home vs. hospital birth attended by registered midwives and physicians" CMAJ, submitted Sept 2014
- Janssen P, Saxell L, Page L, Klein M, Liston R, Lee SK. "Outcomes of planned home birth with registered midwife versus planned hospital birth with midwife or physician" CMAJ, 2009;181:377-83.
Presentation of research material (poster/seminar/lecture etc.)
- Costs of Planned Home vs Hospital Birth in BC Attended by Registered Midwives of Physicians. Canadian Association of Midwives (Plenary). 12th Annual General Meeting, St. John’s, Nfld, October 2012.
- Janssen P, Mitton C, Aghajanian J. Costs of Planned Home vs. Hospital Birth in British Columbia Attended by Registered Midwives and Physicians FIGO 2015 Congress, Abstract PCS93.5.1, p,196, Vancouver, BC, October 9, 2015.
- Janssen P,Mitton C, Aghajanian J.Costs of Planned Home Birth Attended by Registered Midwives in BC versus Planned Hospital Birth Attended by Midwives and Physicians.International Confederation of Midwives Congress, Prague, Czech Republic, June 2, 2014.