Examining determinants and consequences of work-injuries among older workers
Monday, September 27, 2010
University of Toronto (U of T)
Consolidation registry (Ministry of Health)
WorkSafe BC Claims Files and Firm Level Data
consolidation - census geocodes
Deaths (BC Vital Statistics Agency)
Medical Services Plan (BC Ministry of Health)
Consolidation - demographic (Ministry of Health)
Hospital Separations (BC Ministry of Health)
- Smith P, Bielecky A, Koehoorn M, Beaton D, Ibrahim S, Mustard C, Saunders R & Scott-Marshall H. "Are age-related differences in the consequence of work injury greater when occupational physical demands are high?" American Joural of Industrial Medicine. 2014.
- Smith P, Bielecky A, Mustard C, Beaton D, Hogg-Johnson S, Ibrahim S, Koehoorn M, McLeod C, Saunders R & Scott-Marshall H. The relationship between age and work injury in British Columbia: examining differences across time and nature of injury. Journal of Occupational Health. 2013.
- Smith P, Bielecky A, Ibrahim S, Mustard C, Saunders R, Beaton D, Koehoorn M, McLeod C, Scott-Marshall H & Hogg-Johnson S. Impact of pre-existing chronic conditions on age differences in sickness absence after a musculoskeletal work injury: a path analysis approach. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health. 2013
- Smith PM, Bielecky A, Ibrahim S, Mustard C, Scott-Marshall H, Saunders R, & Beaton D. How much do preexisting chronic conditions contribute to age differences in health care expenditures after a work-related musculoskeletal injury? Medical Care. 2013
Presentation of research material (poster/seminar/lecture etc.)
- Smith P. The relationships between chronic conditions and working, work injury and return to work: implications for an ageing workforce. Invited presentation at the Conference Board of Canada’s executive meeting on ‘Chronic Diseases, Aging and the Workplace’. October 22nd, 2014.
- Smith P. Older Workers – Health and Safety Issues. Invited Presentation to the Central Safety Group, Melbourne, Victoria, Austalia March, 2014
- Smith P. The impact of injury type, hospitalisations and pre-existing chronic conditions on age differences in absence from work following a work injury in British Columbia. Oral presentation given at the 23rd Conference on Epidemiology in Occupational Health (EPICOH), Utrecht, The Netherlands, June 20th, 2013.
- Smith P. Impacts of an ageing workforce on claim rates and work disability Australian and Canadian perspective. Invited Oral Presentation, 2nd Australasian Compensation Health Research Forum, Auckland, New Zealand, November 8th, 2012.
- Bielecky A, Smith PM, Hogg-Johnson S, Ibrahim S, Koehoorn M, Mustard CM, McLeod C, Saunders R, Scott-Marshall H, & Tolusso D. The relationship between age and work injury in British Columbia: Differences by gender, time period, and occupation. Oral presentation given at the Canadian Association for Research on Work and Health, Vancouver, BC, Canada, June 3rd, 2012.
- Smith P. The ageing workforce and its implications for occupational health and safety prevention programs and work-injury compensation systems: A Canadian perspective. Invited Oral Presentation, Institute for Safety, Compensation and Recovery Research, Melbourne, March 28th, 2012.