The Epidemiology and Impact of Comorbidity on MS in Canada (ECoMS) - Characterization of Comorbidities in MS
The aim of this project is to identify comorbidities among patients with MS, how these vary across sociodemographic groups, and differ from comorbidities in the general population.
-to identify comorbidities among patients with MS occurring with a frequency >=5%
-to determine which comorbidities occur with different frequencies than in the general population
-to determine temporal trends in MS-related comorbidities
-to describe the burden of illness related to MS in British Columbia; specifically, to estimate annual incidence and prevalence and trends in MS among British Columbia residents with stratification by age, sex, and geographic region of residence.
-to determine how comorbidity affects health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in MS
-to determine how psychiatric symptoms which do not meet formal diagnostic criteria affect HRQoL in MS
- Zhang T, Tremlett H, Tennakoon A, Leung S, Zhu F, Kingwell et al. Examining the effects of comorbidities on disease-modifying therapy use in multiple sclerosis. Neurology. 2016;86:1-9.
- Marrie, Ruth Ann, et al. "Chronic lung disease and multiple sclerosis: Incidence, prevalence, and temporal trends." Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders 8 (2016): 86-92.
- E. Kingwell, F. Zhu, R.A. Marrie, J.D. Fisk, C. Wolfson, S. Warren, J. Profetto-McGrath, L.W. Svenson, N. Jette, V. Bhan, B.N. Yu, L. Elliott, H. Tremlett. High incidence and increasing prevalence of multiple sclerosis in British Columbia, Canada: findings from over two decades (1991-2010). J Neurol. 2015 DOI: 0.1007/s00415-015-7842-0
- Kingwell, Elaine, et al. "High incidence and increasing prevalence of multiple sclerosis in British Columbia, Canada: findings from over two decades (1991–2010)." Journal of neurology 262.10 (2015): 2352-2363.
- Marrie, Ruth Ann, et al. "Differences in the burden of psychiatric comorbidity in MS vs the general population." Neurology 85.22 (2015): 1972-1979.
- McKay KA, Tremlett H, Zhu F, Kastrukoff L, Marrie RA, & Kingwell E. (2016). A population based study comparing multiple sclerosis clinic users and non-users in British Columbia, Canada. European Journal of Neurology, 23(6), 1093-1100
- Kingwell, Elaine, et al. “High incidence and increasing prevalence of multiple sclerosis in British Columbia, Canada: findings from over two decades (1991-2010).” 2014 Joint ACTRIMS-ECTRIMS Meeting, 10th-13th September in Boston.