The economic burden of asthma and the role of co-morbidities
1) Estimate the excess costs of asthma in BC;
2) Estimate the excess costs of co-morbidities in patients with asthma;
3) Estimate the trend in the excess costs of cost of asthma over time;
4) Estimate the contribution of inpatient, outpatient, and medication costs to the excess economic burden of asthma and their co-morbidities.
1. Compared to the general population, individuals with asthma incur more excess direct medical costs due to co-morbidities than individuals without asthma;
2. The overall excess costs of asthma has increased in the province;
3. The per-patient cost of asthma has decreased.