Phase-specific and lifetime costs of cancer in British Columbia and Ontario
Using linked cancer registry and administrative data in Ontario and BC, the objectives of this project are:
1) to estimate direct medical costs and predictors of these costs, for 18 common types of cancer and 3 phases of care: Initial Phase (from approximately 2 months before to 12 months after diagnosis), Terminal Phase (last 12 months before death) and Continuing Care Phase (intervening months)
2) to measure trends in Initial Phase costs over time for 4 common cancers (breast, colorectal, prostate and lung)
3) to estimate 5-year costs for 18 common cancers, using phase-specific costs and registry-derived survival data
4) to estimate lifetime costs for 18 common cancers
- De Oliveira C, Pataky R, Bremner KE, Rangrej J, Chan KKW, Cheung WY, Hoch JS, Peacock SJ and Krahn MD. Estimating the cost of cancer care in British Columbia and Ontario: a Canadian inter-provincial comparison. Healthcare Policy. 12(3) February 2017: 95-108
Presentation of research material (poster/seminar/lecture etc.)
- Pataky, R. E. (2012, May 28, 2012). Costing cancer care in British Columbia.
Paper presented at the Canadian Centre for Applied Research in Cancer Control
(ARCC) Conference, Montreal, QC.
- Pataky R (presenter), de Oliveira C, Bremner K, Hoch J, Peacock S, and Krahn MD. Comparing five-year and lifetime costs of cancer care in British Columbia and Ontario: phase-based costing with linked administrative data in two Canadian provinces. International Health Economics Association World Congress, 2015. Milan, Italy. July 14, 2015.
- Pataky R. Using Linked Administrative Data to Measure the Costs of Cancer Care: Experience from British Columbia. Presentation to Canadian Cancer Registry Data Use and Publications Committee. October 8, 2014.
- Pataky R, de Oliveira C, Bremner K, Peacock S, Krahn MD. (2013) "Comparing the costs of cancer care in British Columbia and Ontario: a phase-based approach" Canadian Centre for Applied Research in Cancer Control (ARCC) Conference, May 27, 2013 in Vancouver, BC.
- Pataky R, de Oliveira C, Bremner K, Peacock S, Krahn MD. (2013) "Comparing the costs of cancer care in British Columbia and Ontario: a phase-based approach" Canadian Association for Drugs and Technologies in Health (CADTH) Symposium, May 5-7, 2013 in St. John’s, NL