Timing of cholecystectomy after endoscopic sphincterotomy
1. Does timing of cholecystectomy after endoscopic sphincterotomy significantly affect patient outcomes?
2. What is the rate of biliary complications after early and delayed cholecystectomy?
3. To what degree does geographic variation affect patient care in regards to complicated biliary disease?
1. There is a great deal of geographical practice variation across BC in regards to management of symptomatic choledocholithiasis
2. Delayed cholecystectomy is associated with an increased rate of biliary complications
3. Early cholecystectomy is associated with significant clinical benefit justifying its routine use
- Mador BD, Nathens AB, Xiong W, Panton ONM, Hameed SM. Timing of cholecystectomy following endoscopic sphincterotomy: A population-based study. Accepted abstract at the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) Annual Meeting, March 19, 2016, Boston, MA.