The economic burden of asthma and the role of co-morbidities
1) Estimate the excess costs of asthma in BC;
2) Estimate the excess costs of co-morbidities in patients with asthma;
3) Estimate the trend in the excess costs of cost of asthma over time;
4) Estimate the contribution of inpatient, outpatient, and medication costs to the excess economic burden of asthma and their co-morbidities.
1. Compared to the general population, individuals with asthma incur more excess direct medical costs due to co-morbidities than individuals without asthma;
2. The overall excess costs of asthma has increased in the province;
3. The per-patient cost of asthma has decreased.
- Chen W, FitzGerald JM, Lynd LD, Sin DD, Sadatsafavi M. Long-Term Trajectories of Mild Asthma in Adulthood and Risk Factors of Progression. J Allergy Clin
Immunol Pract. 2018 Nov - Dec;6(6):2024-2032.e5. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2018.04.027.
Epub 2018 May 7. PubMed PMID: 29746917.
- Chen W, Lynd LD, FitzGerald JM, Marra CA, Balshaw R, To T, Tavakoli H, Sadatsafavi M; Canadian Respiratory Research Network. Excess medical costs in
patients with asthma and the role of comorbidity. Eur Respir J. 2016
Dec;48(6):1584-1592. doi: 10.1183/13993003.01141-2016. Epub 2016 Oct 6. PubMed
- Tavakoli H, FitzGerald JM, Chen W, Lynd L, Kendzerska T, Aaron S, Gershon A, Marra C, Sadatsafavi M; Canadian Respiratory Research Network. Ten-year trends in
direct costs of asthma: a population-based study. Allergy. 2017
Feb;72(2):291-299. doi: 10.1111/all.12993. Epub 2016 Aug 24. PubMed PMID: