Prescription drugs and subtype-specific breast cancer risk
1. Evaluate the association between cumulative bisphosphonate use (>5 years) and the risk of breast cancer and breast cancer subtypes.
2. Evaluate the association between omeprazole use and the risk of breast cancer and breast cancer subtypes.
1. Explore the association between several classes of pharmaceuticals, including anti-depressants and statins, and overall and subtype specific breast cancer risk.
2. Examine the modifying effect of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) on the association between bisphosphonates and omeprazole and the risk of breast cancer.
Use of bisphosphonates and omeprazole will reduce the risk of breast cancer.
Academic thesis or dissertation
Presentation of research material (poster/seminar/lecture etc.)
- Bakos, Brendan. Long-term oral bisphosphonate use and post-menopausal breast cancer risk. Canadian Cancer Research Conference. November 5-7. Vancouver, BC.