Cancer incidence for patients with type 2 diabetes exposed to oral hypoglycemics: are there differences between agents?
The elevated risk of cancer among individuals with type 2 diabetes is being increasingly recognized. Further to these findings the objective of our research is to further assess this association between type 2 diabetes and cancer. Specific hypotheses to be tested are:
1) Relative to people without diabetes, people with type 2 diabetes will have an increased risk of cancer (overall and specific sites), even prior to diabetes index.
2) Relative to people without diabetes, people with type 2 diabetes on sulfonylurea and/or insulin therapy, will have an increased risk of developing cancer (overall and various sites) compared to people with type 2 diabetes on metformin therapy.
3) What is the association between diabetes/hypoglycemics and cancer risk in Chinese, South Asian and Non-Asian ethnicities?
- Levin D, Bell S, Sund R, Hartikainen SA, Tuomilehto J, Pukkala E, Keskimäki I, Badrick E, Renehan AG, Buchan IE, Bowker SL, Minhas-Sandhu JK, Zafari Z, Marra C, Johnson JA, Stricker BH, Uitterlinden AG, Hofman A, Ruiter R, de Keyser CE, MacDonald TM, Wild SH, McKeigue PM, Colhoun HM; Scottish Diabetes Research Network Epidemiology Group and the Diabetes and Cancer Research Consortium. Pioglitazone and bladder cancer risk: a multipopulation pooled, cumulative exposure analysis. Diabetologia 2015;58:493-504.
- Colmers IN, Majumdar SR, Yasui Y, Bowker SL, Marra CA, Johnson JA. "Detection bias and overestimated of bladder cancer risk in type 2 diabetes: a matched cohort study." Diabetes Care 2013 Oct;36(10):3070-5. doi: 10.2337/dc13-0045. Epub 2013 Aug 29.
- Colmers IN, Majumdar SR, Yasui Y, Bowker SL, Marra CA, Johnson JA. Detection Bias and Overestimation of Bladder Cancer Risk in Type 2 Diabetes: A Matched Cohort Study. Diabetes Care 2013;36:3070-5.
- Johnson JA, Bowker SL, Richardson K, Marra C. Time-varying incidence of cancer after the onset of type 2 diabetes: Evidence of potential detection bias. Diabetologia 2011;54:2263-71.
- Bowker SL, Richardson K, Marra C, Johnson JA. Risk of breast cancer after onset of type 2 diabetes: Evidence of detection bias in post-menopausal women. Diabetes Care 2011;34:2542-4.