Are you a researcher who is collecting data? Do you need a secure data storage and management space? REDCap may be the amswer!
REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture), a secure, sophisticated web application for building and managing online surveys and databases, is now available for health researchers in BC. REDCap is a powerful tool that has more sophisticated logic features for health researchers compared to basic survey and database programs.
PopData is offering access to and support for the use of REDCap for Research Ethics Board (REB)-approved research projects. Access to REDCap can be requested free of charge only if the work meets the definition of patient-oriented research
This project is offered through a partnership between the BC Academic Health Science Network (BC AHSN) and the BC SUPPORT Unit, BC Children’s Hospital, the Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation (C2E2), Island Health and Population Data BC.
How do I access these services?
- If you will be using REDCap for an REB approved research project, please fill out the BC AHSN’s REDCap intake form.
- If you’re requesting REDCap for a patient-oriented research project, please be prepared to provide your research proposal and/or patient engagement plan.
- You will receive an email once your intake form has been processed with information on next steps.
- You will need to create a Population Data BC account at https://my.popdata.bc.ca/accounts/register/ to log into your BC AHSN REDCap project.
Access can be requested free of charge only if the research work meets the definition of patient-oriented research. General (non-patient-oriented) research project members can access REDCap support for a one-time fee of $500.
To use this service, all research teams must have ethics approval for a project or must be in the process of obtaining ethics approval.
Basic Support Package:
- Creation of the project in the REDCap platform, based on the investigator’s description of the study
- Authorizing the user access process as per the investigator’s specifications
- Up to four hours of in-person (or remote) REDCap training for the research team
- Up to two hours of online help per 12-months
- Provision of a secure environment for your study data (encryption, firewalls, frequent backups and recovery plan)
- Software updates and additional new functionalities when available
Additional data management services can be provided at a rate of $75 per hour, including:
- Additional trouble shooting support (for unexpected complications or arising complex situations in your study), if needed
- Special project design or report building
- Substantial modification of requirements
- Advanced customizations
What is REDCap?
REDCap(Research Electronic Data Capture), a secure, sophisticated web application for building and managing online surveys and databases, is now available for health researchers in BC. Licensing of REDCap through the BC Academic Health Sciences Network enables us to support researchers across the province.
Why should I use REDCap? How will it help me?
REDCap is a powerful tool that has more sophisticated logic features for health researchers compared to basic survey and database programs.
Further information and instructional tutorials for REDCap are available here:
- Vanderbilt University tutorial videos: https://projectredcap.org/resources/videos/
- University of Colorado Denver tutorials videos: https://vimeo.com/ucdredcap
- Request a meeting or phone call with the BC AHSN Data Management team at firstname.lastname@example.org.