Data source: BC Ministry of Health
January 1, 1985 onward
Includes all births registered in the province of BC.
- Fields available
Both Core and Non-Core fields are available for this data set.
Core vs. Non-Core Data
Core Data: Some data available through PopData and HDPBC are ‘Core Data’. Core Data are data identified by the data provider as 'Safe Data' and eligible for pre-approved release, with the exception of PharmaNet data. Core Data includes commonly-requested data columns, but not necessarily all of the columns available in a data set. For example, some Core Data fields, such as geography or organisational codes, have been suppressed for increased privacy.Please note that the overall data access request is subject to meeting ALL of the Five SAFEs requirements, not just the Safe Data component. For more detail on the Five SAFEs, visit the Eligibility and the FIVE Safe's model page of our website.
Non-Core Data: Non-Core Data are data NOT identified by the data provider as 'Safe Data' and thus are NOT eligible for pre-approved release. Access to Non-Core Data follows the usual processes and will not follow expedited review procedures.
For the majority of DARs, requesting access to Core Data may make the data access approval process quicker and reduce the wait time for data access. It may also reduce the need for time-consuming data amendments related to a request for additional data fields or changes to study populations.
- Includes home births, which do not appear in the Discharge Abstract Database (Hospital Separations) file.
- Excludes all births to BC residents which occur out-of-province.
- Quality/accuracy of information/field coding source
- There are federal standards for vital statistics certificates and reports that have been adopted by the provinces. The use of nationally uniform vital registration and statistics standards allows for comparison of both national and provincial data. The physician or registered midwife who was in attendance at a birth must complete a Notice of Live Birth or Stillbirth/ (NOB) form, supplying the labour and the delivery details.
- Important additional information
- In the case of adopted children, the parents on the births file may be the adoptive parents.
- The name of the father on the births file may not be the name of the biological father.