Population Data BC (PopData) holds 20 data sets from two federal and 7 provincial sources. These data are linkable to each other, and to external data sets, where approved by the data provider.
Data are received and incorporated into the data holdings throughout the year.
We generally receive data between four to ten months after the end of the calendar or fiscal year. It can then take us up to six months to validate, link and document the data before they are ready for research use.
Internal data holdings
- Medical Services Plan Payment Information (MSP)
- Discharge Abstract Database (Hospital Separations)
- Home and Community Care (Continuing Care)
- Mental Health
- BC Cancer Agency
- Perinatal Data Registry
- Consolidation file (MSP Registration and Premium Billing)
- Vital Statistics Births
- Vital Statistics Stillbirths
- Vital Statistics Marriages
- Vital Statistics Deaths
- BC Generations Project data
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Permanent Residents
- Income band data
- WorkSafeBC Claims
- WorkSafe Firm Level files
- Early Development Instrument data
- Middle Years Development Instrument data
External data available
Health care and health services data