Professional Specialization Certificate in Population Health Data Analysis
Trying to fit time for analytic skills into your full time job > read more
Today’s society has a growing interest in maintaining and improving the health of entire populations.
As a result, there is a need for trained professionals who understand the intricacies of population health, have the tools to accurately examine, analyse and evaluate health data, and realise the importance of this work to inform and advance positive health outcomes within societies.
Our certificate program in Population Health Data Analysis meets these needs.
This professional certificate provides a unique opportunity to learn a diverse set of skills from multiple disciplines. While each course has its own distinct objectives, all will contribute to the development and/or enhancement of the following knowledge and skills:
- Evaluating the benefits and limitations of specific kinds of population health related data
- Accessing administrative health data and knowing how to prepare it for data analysis
- Developing theoretical knowledge and understanding in advanced statistical analysis of administrative health data
- Reviewing and analysing case scenarios involving health data analysis and related health outcomes
- Advancing health data analyses and evaluation skills through hands on exercises, labs and/or tutorials using training data sets
- Expanding advanced health data analysis skills in topics specific to individual research or work environments including epidemiology, administration and geomatics
The video below provides an introduction to the course
Who should take this program?
This program is designed for professionals who are:
- Working for a population health related organization
- Involved in health research
- Members of a related social science discipline
Admission and program delivery
Admission to the program is on-going. Students may enroll in any term and take up to two courses without applying for admission to the full certificate program.
Students who successfully complete four courses will receive a Professional Specialization Certificate conferred by the University of Victoria.
The next courses available within the Certificate program are:
|PHDA 03 Population Health and Geographic Information Systems (core course)||Sept to Dec 2019|
|PHDA 01 Working with Administrative Data (core course)||Sept to Dec 2019|
|PHDA 04 Spatial Epidemiology and Outbreak Detection (elective course)||Jan to Apr 2020|
|PHDA 02 Epidemiological Statistics (core course)||Jan to April 2020|
|PHDA 06 Health Services Program Monitoring and Evaluation (elective course)||Jan to April 2020|
|PHDA 05 Longitudinal Analysis and Multi-level Modeling of Population Health Data (elective course)||May to July 2020|
Program applications and course inquiries are ongoing.
For additional details regarding program application or course registration contact:
Nancy Aubut, Program Coordinator, Division of Continuing Studies, University of Victoria, phone: 250 721 8779
This program has been developed by Population Data BC in partnership with the Division of Continuing Studies and Department of Geography at the University of Victoria.
For further application details, visit the Division of Continuing Studies webpage.